We all know that polystyrene is a fantastic packaging and insulating material but there are some fun and practical things that it can be used for as well. Here are just a few:
- It can be used in sculpturing, modelling and artwork to make creative pieces. You can use flat sections to mount pictures and photographs on to and for creating wall art.
- You can use it to fill plant pots rather than using heavy soil. This is ideal for shallow-rooted plants and makes the pots easier to move about as well as being good for drainage.
- If you put some quick-drying fabric around it, you can create floating toys for your kids to enjoy in the bath!
- A good practical use is to put polystyrene in empty freezer drawers if they’re not being used – this will improve the efficiency of your freezer.
- By cutting it up into pieces you can use it to refill bean bag chairs that have lost their shape.
- Polystyrene containers can be used for protecting seedlings from the cold earth.
- You can use polystyrene to insulate man-made ponds in the garden.
And there you have it! Polystyrene is an extremely versatile material that can be used in a variety of different ways. You just need to have a bit of imagination!